The thirty two D34s (NBR Class K) designed by Reid for the North British Railway became colloquially known as the ‘Glens’ on account of the names they were given. In line with NBR practice, the names were simply painted onto the top of the splasher over the leading driving wheels. All but one of the names were written as two separate words, the exception being Glenfinnan which for some reason was painted as a single word. Most of the glens after which the engines were named were associated with the West Highland line and the Fort Augustus branch although again there were exceptions (Glen Ogle was well inside Caledonian Railway territory). Curiously, No. 492 was originally named Glen Gau despite the fact there was no glen by that name although it was later renamed Glen Gour in July 1925. Similarly, No. 9287 Glen Gyle erroneously carried the name Glen Lyon for about one month at the end of 1941 but this was soon rectified.

The photographs of Glen Lyon in this gallery were all taken by myself to allow the railway enthusiast see the beauty of the Glens form a different perspective!

All photographs are available as unframed 12" x 8" prints at 15.00GBP including UK postage.

Previous NBR / LNER D34 9278 'Glen Lyon' at Dalmeny (1934) - ©PM Glen Lyon - ©PM Glen Lyon - ©PM Glen Lyon - ©PM Next
  1 of 192 of 193 of 194 of 19 
Main Image
NBR / LNER D34 9278 'Glen Lyon' at Dalmeny (1934) - ©PM
Returning back to Edinburgh from the Kingdom of Fife, 'Glen Lyon' comes off the Forth Bridge and pulls into Dalmeny Station with a stopping passenger train (as indicated by the single lamp at the top of the smokebox door)..