The thirty two D34s (NBR Class K) designed by Reid for the North British Railway became colloquially known as the ‘Glens’ on account of the names they were given. In line with NBR practice, the names were simply painted onto the top of the splasher over the leading driving wheels. All but one of the names were written as two separate words, the exception being Glenfinnan which for some reason was painted as a single word. Most of the glens after which the engines were named were associated with the West Highland line and the Fort Augustus branch although again there were exceptions (Glen Ogle was well inside Caledonian Railway territory). Curiously, No. 492 was originally named Glen Gau despite the fact there was no glen by that name although it was later renamed Glen Gour in July 1925. Similarly, No. 9287 Glen Gyle erroneously carried the name Glen Lyon for about one month at the end of 1941 but this was soon rectified.

The photographs of Glen Luss in this gallery were all taken by myself in July 2018 to allow the railway enthusiast see the beauty of the Glens form a different perspective!

All photographs are available as unframed 12" x 8" prints at 15.00GBP including UK postage.

Previous NBR / LNER D34 9493 Glen Luss at Mallaig (1934) - ©PM Glen Luss - ©PM Glen Luss - ©PM Glen Luss - ©PM Next
  1 of 202 of 203 of 204 of 20 
Main Image
NBR / LNER D34 9493 Glen Luss at Mallaig (1934) - ©PM
A fine shot of Glen Luss at Mallaig with a train for Fort Willaim